Tuesday, February 24, 2009

canopy walk

Today we left the lodge about 630 am for the Canopy Walk. We took a taxi to the junction where we boarded a trotro to Cape Coast, knowing we would probably need to get on another trotro at Pedu Junction to take us to Kakum, where the Canopy Walk is. But I asked the trotro mate (he collects the money and hangs out the window yelling the trotro destination and getting customers. Lol) if they could take us all the way to Kakum. He agreed and a passenger heading to Anomabo translated between the mate’s Fante and our English as we negotiated a price—they always start out way too high with obrunis because they could get lucky and find obrunis who don’t know the right price and therefore pay a ridiculous amount. We settled on a price and drove a little more and then the passenger, who was a really nice guy, asked me if I knew how to get to Kakum. I told him that I knew we were supposed to turn at Pedu junction, and he informed me that the mate and driver didn’t know how to get there…so once we turned at Pedu, they pulled over and the mate motioned me to move into the front seat to navigate. Lol The driver asked for directions about 3 different times though and the mate and I got us there just fine so my first experience navigating a trotro was a success. Ha (btw it was just a straight shot since you didn’t turn until turning into the park entrance. So it was tough to mess up…but a success nevertheless. Haha) The canopy walk was amazing! I used to be really scared of heights when I was little, and this was high but didn’t bother me at all so hopefully I’ve almost totally conquered that fear. We saw a few monkeys in the trees below, and the view was breathtaking. After the canopy walk, they had an optional nature walk which was cool as well. I saw the biggest tree I’ve ever seen…probably not as big as the Redwoods in California ha but still the tree was way too wide for the camera lens. On the nature walk I met a guy named Martin from Germany and his friend Jassan who I’m not sure if he was from Germany too or Ghana. A few of us stayed to eat lunch in the real Rainforest Café, not the Americanized version. Ha I had my favorite Ghanaian meal, Red Red (Fried Plantains) and Bean Stew. It was just a great experience as I love being out in nature and connecting with God there. As I walked the canopy walk, I just sang to God quietly and worshipped him as I soaked up the beauty of his creation below me. Then the nature walk and eating in the rainforest café surrounded by such a pretty setting topped it off. Another great day in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment